Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Mail order fun!

To mark the end of school and a tough week, I treated myself to a couple of sale (I am a sale sucker, I recognize this) charm packs from Crafsty featuring one of my (and lots of other people's, that's why it's been reissued) fabric lines: Denyse Schmidt's "Flea Market Fancy". The package's arrival just made my day (I love good mail...and parentheses):



Then, I opened it up and BONANZA:




These colors are totally inspiring me lately. I love the mellow grays and punchy yellows.  The bright pinks against the cool blues.  A "Flea Market Fancy" fabric was one of the first fabrics I fell in love with so much that I bought yardage instead of just a fat quarter.  I didn't even know who Denyse Schmidt was at the time. All week I have been thinking about what to do with these beauties...a baby quilt for a new baby boy in the family?  The primary blues, reds and yellows might just be perfect.  A blog give-away...

Since the time I first learned about these fabrics, I have educated myself a whole lot more.  NOW, I am cognizant of the fact that Denyse Schmidt is Modern Quilting's GODESS.  She is an amazing quilter, artist, designer and from the looks of her latest book, historian!



I was so excited when I opened the sort of boring-looking brown paper envelope my husband handed me on Christmas morning to discover that he was sending me to a quilt workshop with none other than Denyse---at her Bridgeport, CT studio!!  Oh yes, he is a GOOD man (unlike another husband who gave his wife the gift, but the wrong date---OH NO!!!!).

From start to finish, it was an amazing and inspiring day.  I will write another post all about that day, but for now...


Have you ever been to a great quilting workshop?  Tell me about it!

4 comments:

  1. I bought some of her FMF fabric too way before I knew what I was getting.I just
    Loved it, and it has been in my stash for years. Who knew? I have been using some of what I have and trying to decide what to do with the FQ's I have of it as well. I love the charm squares. Have never seen it cut that way. No matter what you use it for it is the most beautiful fabric ever and will make something beautiful.

    You are so lucky to get to go to one of these workshops. I never have been. I wanted to go to the retreat/classes at the Sewing Summit last year but I could not make it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to go to the sewing summit too Leslie, but couldn't swing either. Missed you yesterday, but hope you can join us next time! I may try to get started with it tonight while my husband takes the boys to see "Brave"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! Congrats! I will follow. I can be found at www.rumpelquiltskin.com

    ReplyDelete